October 13 2017 City Partners with Arts Council to Solicit Local Art harrisonburgva.gov
Harrisonburg, Va. – The city of Harrisonburg is again partnering with the Arts Council of the Valley to encourage local artists to submit their artwork.
The Virginia Municipal League (VML), of which Harrisonburg is a member, has collected local handmade ornaments from localities around the state of Virginia for the past two years. These ornaments are sent to the Executive Mansion in Richmond, VA to adorn the holiday tree.
Harrisonburg and the Arts Council of the Valley are asking local artists to submit handmade ornaments. From the ornaments that are received, one will be selected and sent on behalf of Harrisonburg to be displayed on the tree in the Executive Mansion.
All other ornaments received will be displayed on the city’s Christmas tree in the lobby of City Hall, which greets residents, employees, and visitors.
Questions? Contact Mary-Hope Vass, public information officer for Harrisonburg, at 540-432-7701 or MaryHope.Vass@HarrisonburgVA.gov.
Guidelines for ornament submissions:
• Each participating locality is asked to submit one holiday ornament to the Executive Mansion. All other ornaments will become the property of the city for annual display on the Christmas tree.
• The size of the ornament should be no longer than six inches and the shape and material is totally up to the artist/artisan. The finished ornament should be submitted along with the name of the locality and artist placed on the back of the ornament.
• The artist/artisan should reside in or near the locality.
• No purchased ornaments.
• Deadline for submitting the ornament is Monday, October 30.
• Submissions can be sent to the City Manager’s Office at City Hall by mail or in person to 409 S. Main St. Harrisonburg, VA 22801. City Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.