November 6 2017 Arts Council of the Valley Awards Fifteen Advancing the Arts Grants to Community Artists, Art Educators hrchamber.org
During the past decade, Arts Council of the Valley has awarded nearly $350,000 to support community-based initiatives in the City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County through its Advancing the Arts grants. These funds are awarded to organizations, art educators, and artists working in the visual, performing, and literary arts to support the art that makes for a vibrant community. For the Fall 2017 cycle, fifteen applicants received a total of $10,000.
Advancing the Arts grants are awarded in two categories: Arts in Education, provided to educators and educational organizations, and Creative Inspiration, provided to artists.
The Council is happy to announce its Fall 2017 Advancing the Arts grant recipients:
Arts in Education:
• The Making Space, Lucy Simms Center, Monica Burkholder
• The Art of Needlework, Cub Run and Linville-Edom Elementary Schools, Robin W. Goble
• Exploring Printmaking with Children, Pleasant Valley and Plains Elementary Schools, Amelia Guido
• Boys and Girls Club Art Expansion Program, Boys and Girls Club, Kristin Lewis
• Wall of Wood, Peak View and Lacey Springs Elementary Schools,
Christopher G. Michael
• Socially Conscious Chamber Music, The Second Movement, David Perry
• The Importance of Art from Youth Perspectives: A Mural, Shenandoah Art Mobile, Emily Reese
• Professional Practice Intensive Program for Artists, john ros
• Follow the Yellow Brick Road, Second Home Learning Center, Leeanne
• On a Silent Night, The Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir, Lorraine
• Bridging the Gap of the Rocktown Ringers, The Arc of Harrisonburg and Rockingham, Inc., Heath Denman
• Buck Gooter Sound System, Buck Gooter and Billy Brett
• Musical Hands, Ice House Studios Photo Exhibition, Lara Ressler Horst
• Confluence: Rivers in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, Scott Jost
• Steve B.I.K.O. EP Project, Steven Thomas
Advancing the Arts grant applications were available in August and submitted in October.
In January 2018, Arts Council of the Valley will host a workshop for potential applicants for a second round of grant awards in Spring 2018. Interested applicants can find more information at www.valleyarts.org. The Council encourages all artists and art educators to apply.
Arts Council of the Valley is located at 311 South Main Street in downtown Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Cate Bruns, Communications and Administrative Assistant