Communications and Administrative Assistant
Arts Council of the Valley (ACV) seeks an energetic, creative individual to support programs and build excitement about the institution through social media, e-blasts, website updates, newsletters, and promotional materials, and coordinating daily activities related to ACV. 32-40 hrs/wk (part-time or full-time). Minimal evening and weekend hours required.
This position plays a key role in the day-to-day operations of Arts Council of the Valley, contributing in vital ways to the promotion of events at Court Square Theater and ACV. ACV seeks a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual who has a sense of creativity, enjoys working on a small team, and demonstrates excellent follow-up skills. Candidates must have exceptional interpersonal skills and writing abilities, and be able to multi-task. Responsibilities include oversight of programs at ACV’s Smith House Galleries and fundraising initiatives for the organization. As a key contributor to a small staff, the successful candidate offers a substantial opportunity to directly impact programming and communications. This position will be the initial public contact person at ACV headquarters.
· Social media communications;
· Write and schedule press releases, e-newsletter communications, and promotional materials;
· Develop and maintain relationships with third party vendors;
· Maintain email marketing and direct mailing contact lists;
· Maintain artists/performers/ACV member/community partners database;
· Update website; point person for coordinating ACV program calendar;
· Coordinate printed materials, working with print companies, designers, mail houses;
· Create and maintain outreach strategies for targeted audiences;
· Coordinate First Fridays Downtown;
· Maintain supplies inventory, coordinate printing services/supply deliveries;
· Assist Executive Director with other duties as assigned, or as needed.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business or Humanities preferred;
· 2+ years demonstrated success in a business environment;
· Outstanding writing skills;
· Proficient with social media platforms;
· Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal skills;
· Polished, professional, and polite with the ability to work collaboratively, engender trust and mutual respect both internally and externally; team player and team communicator;
· Ability to take initiative and anticipate organizational needs;
· Excellent time-management skills; creative problem-solver;
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
· Basic graphic design skills with Photoshop and/or Illustrator;
· Familiarity with photography and Constant Contact a plus;
· Experience in marketing and branding a plus.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications and Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. Be prepared to provide writing samples and references.
Posting Date: Closing Date:
February 22, 2017 March 10, 2017
About Arts Council of the Valley
Founded in 2000, Arts Council of the Valley promotes the arts as fundamental to a vibrant community, and provides memorable arts experiences for residents of Harrisonburg/Rockingham and visitors from around the world. ACV is an art gallery, a renowned theater, a funding source for artists and art educators, and a hub for community dialogue. Located in the historic Smith House, ACV welcomes visitors to learn about Harrisonburg’s vibrant artistic community.
Arts Council of the Valley is an Equal Opportunity employer, committed to hiring a diverse staff. Arts Council of the Valley is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.