advancing the arts grants
In the past decade, the Arts Council of the Valley has awarded more than $318,000 in grants to support community-based initiatives in the Harrisonburg and Rockingham area. Mirroring the image of the community’s creativity these funds are awarded to organizations and artists working in the visual, performing, and literary arts. Grant information is disseminated mid-summer and grant applications are due in September annually.
SUBMIT A GRANT for the 2014-15 Grant Cycle for projects occurring November 1, 2014- May 31, 2015
September 12, 2014 is the DEADLINE for grant applications.
ARTS IN EDUCATION for educators serving students in Harrisonburg/Rockingham. These grants are available for projects that include writing, poetry, dance, music, filmmaking, and visual and performing art.
CREATIVE INSPIRATION for artists living in Harrisonburg/Rockingham. This grant is open for writers, poets, dancers, filmmakers, musicians, and visual and performing artists.
congratulations to the 2013-14 advancing the arts grant recipients!
Art in Education Grants – for public schools, colleges, universities, and other arts education-related endeavors
- Elkton Elementary School Annual Art Contest, teacher Martha Yankey
- Stone Spring Elementary School, ”Aleatoric Explorations,” teacher Kate Nesmith
- East Rockingham High School, “ERHS Mosaic Letters,” teacher Michele Rosengarth
- Spitzer Art Center, “Market Street Mosaic” — Artists: Charlotte Shristi, Barbara Gautcher, Jauan Brooks, Pat Augburger, Kelley Shradley-Horst and Jewel Hertzler
- James Madison University: Art Education, “JMU Sharing Cross-Curricular Lesson Plans in Harrisonburg Public Schools and across the Commonwealth” – Organizer Dr. Roger Tomhave, JMU
- River Bend Elementary School Annual Art Contest, teacher Martha Yankey
- Reel Change Documentary Film Festival, festival organizers Shaun Wright and Shelly Hokanson
Creative Inspiration Grants – for individual artists and arts groups
- Wade Vanover for the film project “Repeater”
- Rebecca Silberman for the photography project “12 x 12″
- The Artery collaborative artist group
Past Venue Grant Recipients:
The “Go Local” Film Series, Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance, Valley 4th, Block Party in the ‘Burg, Write-Brained Network, Shenandoah Writer’s Group, SuperG8 Film Festival, The Valley Playhouse, The Collins Center, Mercy House, and First Night Harrisonburg.