Smith House Galleries
In 2005, the Daily News-Record gifted a home known as the “Smith House” (ca. 1867) to ACV in an effort to save the historic building from demolition. However, the gift came with one catch: the building needed to be moved from its residing Liberty Street location by June 30 of that year.
With time ticking, ACV board members and community leaders embarked on an ambitious capital campaign to renovate and relocate the house. On June 23, 2005, the Smith House was placed on a truck and driven to its new 311 S. Main Street location, where it has since served faithfully as the Arts Council's administrative offices.
With generous support from the Strickler family and local business owner James McHone, the Smith House slowly evolved into the gallery space that it is today. Composed of the Rhapsody Room and the Darrin-McHone Gallery, the Smith House Galleries provides local and emerging artists the opportunity to exhibit in a space that is as community-oriented and exciting as the day it was trucked downtown.